Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Unpaid Interns

President Obama and his administration are concerned that unpaid internships are a violation of the minimum wage laws. I can understand their argument, but let me be frank and personal about this and leave my libertarian views on the sidelines. In today's economy, I will gladly take an unpaid internship! I am in an unfortunate position where I am about to graduate as a civil engineer and I have never done any real world work in civil engineering. I was not able to get an internship or co-op in my four years at this school so my experience is essentially zero. So that makes me a less valuable candidate for every job I am applying for. Furthermore since firms have been letting people go there is a new supply of more experienced smarter civies out there. Increased supply and decreased demand is putting a downward drive on the price of our services.

I figure why not offer my services for free? It would look great on my resume, and it would be hugely cost effective. However the employer would run the risk, and I would readily admit I would be up front about this, that I am going to leave the instant I got a paying offer. The employer would have to hedge his or her bets that I would be there for a long enough period of time to justify bringing me in free of charge to do some work.

So for all you civil engineering firms out there, one free intern right here at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment